Sunday 21 August 2011

Hazelnut Loaf Cake



I spent last night searching for a cake recipe that would compliment the spiced damson curd I had just made. Nothing jumped out at me, but I did find this recipe which I adapted to make my own. I haven't tried the original, so I can't say how my version compares. But still warm from the oven, spread with some of the curd, it was just wonderful, perfect for having with friends at tea-time. Having said that, it's not just a vehicle for curd, it stands up just fine by itself.

The Frangelico, an intensely sweet hazelnut liqueur, is not essential, so unless you really want it, don't rush out and buy a bottle. I confess, I'm quite a fan- once you've made a hot chocolate with this, you'll almost certainly be wanting to use it wherever you can.


Update: I remade this, so have some new and improved photos!



Ingredients
200 grams hazelnuts
125 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
225 grams sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
250 grams greek yogurt
2 capfuls Frangelico (optional)
225 grams self raising flour
pinch salt

Method
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade, line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
Toast the hazelnuts in a dry frying pan until they start to smell fragrant and the skins begin to flake. Take off the heat and allow to cool enough for you to handle. Rub off as much of the skins as you can from the hazelnuts, then finely grind in a food processor.
Combine the flour, salt and ground nuts in a bowl.Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one by one, and then add in the yogurt and 1 capful of the Frangelico. Fold in the dry ingredients, then pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin. Bake for around 45 minutes until a knife or skewer comes out cleanly. Pierce with a skewer all over, and drizzle over the remaining Frangelico. Let it cool slightly, before slicing thickly and serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment